Meet Orthopedic Surgeon Omar Osmani
Dr. Omar N. Osmani is an orthopedic surgeon with dual sub-specialty fellowship training in Spine and Joint Replacement surgery. He completed his orthopedic training at the world renowned Kenton Leatherman Spine Center and The University of Louisville in Kentucky. In 2004 he moved to Roswell, NM and has since called it home. Dr. Osmani has been actively involved with his patients, addressing their concerns with compassion and care, and with a solid scientific foundation. He has been published in several peer reviewed journals and has been an acting pioneer in the community, introducing the latest cutting edge technologies. Among the many significant contributions to his field, Dr. Osmani developed an innovative closure technique for Total Hip Replacement that prevents hip dislocation. This procedure was referred to in Campbell’s Orthopedics, the most trusted reference for orthopedic surgeons. Being in rural New Mexico does not deter him from pursuing and keeping up with the latest cutting edge technologies and making them available to the southeastern New Mexico inhabitants. His goal is to adopt the new technologies that make surgery less invasive, resulting in less collateral damage and faster recovery. As a testament to this commitment, he was the first to perform the following procedures in New Mexico:
- Balloon Kyphoplasty in Southern New Mexico: the minimally invasive treatment for vertebral compression fracture.
- He was first to introduce the Aquamantys; a special cauterization device that decreases bleeding during surgeries.
- Since 2008, Dr. Osmani has been pioneering novel Laser Endoscopic Spine Surgery in the state of New Mexico. With this procedure he is able to treat disc herniation through a small stab under local anesthesia. The patient is walking just a few minutes after the surgery and is expected to be home in just a few hours.
- As of December 2012, a little over a month after the FDA approved the first Non-Fusion Minimally Invasive Device for Spine Surgery: Coflex. Dr. Osmani was the first physician in New Mexico to use the Coflex, a promising device that treats people with back pain and spinal.stenosis, sparing those patients a major fusion surgery.
- Since 2010, Dr. Osmani was the first to introduce and adopt the new patient matched instrumentation from Smith and Nephew for Total Knee Replacement. This process makes surgery more efficient and more precise because it uses custom designed blocks for every patient based on an MRI and x-ray prior to surgery.
Dr. Osmani is always on the lookout for new technologies that will help take care of his patients, who he treats individually like his own family. He deeply believes that the interests of his patients are his interests, and always strives to provide the best, most compassionate care.
He founded the Spine and Orthopedic Center of New Mexico in 2013 and will start seeing patients as of July 15th, 2013.
He was appointed Assistant Clinical Professor at the university of New Mexico Albuquerque in November 2013.